• "Astronomers around the world are gearing up to get their first close-up views of a giant space rock and it’s new-found moon, set to hurtle by Earth today, May 31. The flyby will be broadcast live around the world via the web.

Remote controlled telescopes on the Canary Islands, off the coast of West Africa, will cover the asteroid’s closest approach to our planet which occurs at 4:59 p.m. EDT. You can catch the live coverage starting at 1:30 p.m. PDT / 4:30 p.m. EDT / 20:30 UTC. (Find out when the broadcast will occur in your time zone.)

Called 1998 QE2, this asteroid is considered a potentially hazardous object because it makes a regular close approach to Earth’s orbit. (Related: “Asteroid Impacts: 10 Biggest Known Hits.”)

QE2 is a true mountain in motion, stretching 1.7 miles (2.7 kilometers) across—nine times the length of the 12-deck Queen Elizabeth 2 cruise ship...."

Voor het gehele artikel: klik

Bron: National Geographic

[ bericht aangepast op 31 mei 2013 - 19:29 ]

"I shut my eyes in order to see.'

Wow, cool! :9~

"A weed is simply a flower that somebody has decided is in the wrong place." Sister Monica Joan, Call the Midwife

Pabiloso schreef:
    Wow, cool! :9~

26 - 02 - '16

Wauw, ik lees ergens dat dat ding ook gewoon een eigen maan heeft o_o

Alayne schreef:
    Wauw, ik lees ergens dat dat ding ook gewoon een eigen maan heeft o_o

Whut, dat is best wel episch. 0.o

"A weed is simply a flower that somebody has decided is in the wrong place." Sister Monica Joan, Call the Midwife

Volgens zo'n blog passeert-ie rond 22:59, maar wil je 'm zien, dan is 'n telescoopje wel handig :'D En zelfs met 'n amateur-telescoop blijkt 't nogal moeilijk zijn 'm te zien :'D