• Zoals jullie allemaal weten is het vandaag precies een jaar10 maanden geleden dat onze liefste en bekendste gorilla doodgeschoten werd. Heldhaftige Harambe, een 17 jarige gorilla, zag een kind in zijn verblijf vallen en probeerde het te redden. De toeschouwers waren in paniek en omdat niemand wist wat Harambe met het jongetje ging doen, werd hij doodgeschoten. Iedereen op de wereld rouwde om dit gebeuren en dat doen we vandaag de dag nog steeds.

Dix out for Harambe!

[ bericht aangepast op 28 maart 2017 - 20:57 ]

Mirinae schreef:
    (...)
    Ik geloof dat als hij het jongetje zou willen doden o.i.d. het bijna direct zou zijn gebeurd. Daarbij kan je niet van een wild dier verwachten dat hij hem lief in zijn armen zal nemen a lá Tarzan-stijl.

Primate-behavior experts concur with Harambe's protective non-aggressive intentions:

Professor Emily Bethell
    (primate behaviorist): "He was clearly being protective towards the boy. There were no signs of the gorilla being aggressive in the sense that he wanted to hurt the boy or anything like that. The biggest threat to the boy I would say is obviously when the gorilla moved and dragged him, that could have caused some harm, but the gorilla’s body language is definitely protective." [1]

Professor Gisela Kaplan (primate behaviorist): "I can tell you silverbacks are protectors of their group. If there’s an unusual thing happening, (Harambe) needs to investigate. The fact that he went over to the child is absolutely natural behaviour but it doesn't mean he was aggressive. If he was going to attack he would’ve warned him first. The first thing they do is charge and beat their chests and as far as I know that didn’t happen." [2]

Professor Frans De Waal (primatologist): "Seeing more of the videos, I got the impression that Harambe was mostly protective. He showed a combination of protection and confusion. He stood over the child, held him up, moved/dragged him through the water (at least once very roughly), stood over him again. Much of his reaction may have been triggered by public noise and yelling. There was no moment of acute aggression, as also admitted by the zoo director. If the gorilla had wanted to kill the child, one bang of his fist would have done it. People have no idea of their superhuman strength. Yet, he didn’t perform any killing move. I should also clarify, since people on Facebook have said that gorillas are dangerous predators, that this is entirely wrong. A gorilla doesn’t look at a human child as something edible. [...] The one thing that reliably makes a gorilla male mad is another male who enters his territory or gets too close to his females and young. Harambe surely knew that he was not dealing with competition, hence had no reason to attack." [3]

Gorilla keeper

Richard Johnstone-Scott
    (gorilla keeper for 46 years): "It looked quite scary. But I understand that he was actually pulling the child away from where the people who were shouting and screaming out of concern for the little chap, he pulled him away from that area. And then when he stopped, it seems to me that he helped the boy to his feet, which was quite amazing. From what I can see on that film, I don’t think that Harambe meant to hurt that child. If he had intended to hurt that child it would’ve been over in seconds. It would’ve been wham, bang, and that would be the end of it." [4]

Hierom geloof ik dat hij het kind (grotendeels) probeerde te beschermen. Ik denk dat iedereen het nogal opblaast en, naar mijn mening, zou het dier niet gedood te hoeven worden.

Hier ben ik het ook mee eens. Ze hebben dat dier eigenlijk onterecht gedood.

26 - 02 - '16

Monochopsis schreef:
    (...)

Hier ben ik het ook mee eens. Ze hebben dat dier eigenlijk onterecht gedood.

Ook eens inderdaad. Van de week zag ik nog een artikel van een man die als kind ook in een gorilla verblijf gevallen was en de gorilla(s) beschermde(n) hem.

Mirinae schreef:
    (...)
    Ik geloof dat als hij het jongetje zou willen doden o.i.d. het bijna direct zou zijn gebeurd. Daarbij kan je niet van een wild dier verwachten dat hij hem lief in zijn armen zal nemen a lá Tarzan-stijl.

Primate-behavior experts concur with Harambe's protective non-aggressive intentions:

Professor Emily Bethell
    (primate behaviorist): "He was clearly being protective towards the boy. There were no signs of the gorilla being aggressive in the sense that he wanted to hurt the boy or anything like that. The biggest threat to the boy I would say is obviously when the gorilla moved and dragged him, that could have caused some harm, but the gorilla’s body language is definitely protective." [1]

Professor Gisela Kaplan (primate behaviorist): "I can tell you silverbacks are protectors of their group. If there’s an unusual thing happening, (Harambe) needs to investigate. The fact that he went over to the child is absolutely natural behaviour but it doesn't mean he was aggressive. If he was going to attack he would’ve warned him first. The first thing they do is charge and beat their chests and as far as I know that didn’t happen." [2]

Professor Frans De Waal (primatologist): "Seeing more of the videos, I got the impression that Harambe was mostly protective. He showed a combination of protection and confusion. He stood over the child, held him up, moved/dragged him through the water (at least once very roughly), stood over him again. Much of his reaction may have been triggered by public noise and yelling. There was no moment of acute aggression, as also admitted by the zoo director. If the gorilla had wanted to kill the child, one bang of his fist would have done it. People have no idea of their superhuman strength. Yet, he didn’t perform any killing move. I should also clarify, since people on Facebook have said that gorillas are dangerous predators, that this is entirely wrong. A gorilla doesn’t look at a human child as something edible. [...] The one thing that reliably makes a gorilla male mad is another male who enters his territory or gets too close to his females and young. Harambe surely knew that he was not dealing with competition, hence had no reason to attack." [3]

Gorilla keeper

Richard Johnstone-Scott
    (gorilla keeper for 46 years): "It looked quite scary. But I understand that he was actually pulling the child away from where the people who were shouting and screaming out of concern for the little chap, he pulled him away from that area. And then when he stopped, it seems to me that he helped the boy to his feet, which was quite amazing. From what I can see on that film, I don’t think that Harambe meant to hurt that child. If he had intended to hurt that child it would’ve been over in seconds. It would’ve been wham, bang, and that would be the end of it." [4]

Hierom geloof ik dat hij het kind (grotendeels) probeerde te beschermen. Ik denk dat iedereen het nogal opblaast en, naar mijn mening, zou het dier niet gedood te hoeven worden.

Ik zei ook niet dat ik dat verwachtte, juist het tegenovergestelde. En ik ben het er ook mee eens dat hij niet gedood hoefde worden - maar ik zat niet in die situatie. Op dat specifieke moment hebben die dierenverzorgers natuurlijk ook een adrenaline-rush om dat kind zo snel mogelijk te redden.

Tijd voor koffie.

Jammer schreef:
    (...)
    Ik zei ook niet dat ik dat verwachtte, juist het tegenovergestelde. En ik ben het er ook mee eens dat hij niet gedood hoefde worden - maar ik zat niet in die situatie. Op dat specifieke moment hebben die dierenverzorgers natuurlijk ook een adrenaline-rush om dat kind zo snel mogelijk te redden.

Oké.

Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.