• † † †

† † †

† † †

1866, Weston, West Virginia

The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum for the mentally ill was founded in 1864. Since then it has had a reputation of beholding the worst of the worst. Between the walls of Trans-Allegheny die many souls who are buried in the gigantic graveyard on the edge of the grounds. It is told to be haunted with bad luck and everyone who is locked up inside, won't ever leave the grounds. Dead or alive. Now in 1866 the asylum has been reopened, after it was closed for several months due to a particularly gruesome murder inside its walls. Eight clients have been transferred from different other asylums to spend the remaining of their insane lives in Trans-Allegheny, but it is not only walls that holds the clients inside. According to the rumors, the doctors who have been appointed to take care of the clients aren't quite sane themselves. Welcome to the horrors of Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum.

R O L E S
    DOCTORS
    Killian Theodore Cliffwood • Ian Somerhalder (narcissist) // Lizor
    Edward Isaac Jones • Iwan Rheon // Shireen
    Norman Richard Galloway • David Gandy (drug addict) // Miall

Katherine Williams • Scarlett Johansson (sadist) // Macabre
    Elaine Ophelia Hershey • Kristina Romanova // Shocker
    Adaline Ruth Baker • Elizabeth Olsen // Viraha

PATIENTS
    Charles Alexander Madkins • fc • Paranoid Personality Disorder // Lachesism
    Henry Nicholas Reign • Daniel Bederov • Major Depressive Disorder // Viraha
    Lukas Heathford • Arthur Daniyarov • PTSD // Marlow
    Jethro Niclas Hayes • ? • Borderline personality disorder // Scythe
    Lilith Stanbury • Violet Ell • Schizophrenia/ED // Macabre
    Anastasia Florence Chau-Se • Daul Kim • Dissociative Identity Disorder // Lizor
    Therese Scottsman • Lorde • Hysteria // Shireen
    Dorothy Margaret Crawford • Cora Keegan • Bipolar // Miall

T O P I C S
    Roletopic
    Chattopic 1, 2
    Playtopic

S T A R T E R
    It is early in the morning and the patients arrive at Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. The doctors and nurses are ready to examine them completely before they get showed to their small rooms. The patients aren't allowed their own possessions in and have to walk around in pre scripted clothes. They have to wear white pants - men - and a long ankle skirt - women - with an elastic band instead of a fly and a white blouse.

R U L E S
    † There is maximum of two roles.
    † Only Macabre and Lizor make new topics.
    † Posts have to contain at least 250 words.
    † No fights, unless it's in character.
    † OOC in playing topic between hooks or in the spam topic.
    † 16+ is allowed.
    † Without permission you can not control other roles.
    † Don't shut anyone out and try to read the posts from others.
    † In your post you name your name, role, location and the person you role is with.
    † No Harley Quinn's or Tate's.
    † Take the year into consideration when you pick a face claim.
    † And above all; have fun!

[ bericht aangepast op 18 jan 2017 - 17:09 ]

My fake plants died, because I did not pretend to water them.

Jethro Niclas Hayes
    patient • 26 • borderline • outside • Killian and Elaine

“How do you run from what's inside of your mind?”

Finally, after what felt like way to long, Jeth gets freed from the ropes. His wrists burn from the struggling he had done the past half an hour. It had been silent in the hallway, something Jeth appreciated a lot. When the guards left, stayed Jeth in his bed. He looked at the red all over his arms, it wasn't far from bleeding. Slowly Jeth placed his sleeves over them to cover up all the harm he had done.

Without any haste Jeth came from his room, not really knowing where he wanted to go. Drawn to the voices, Jeth walked to the common area. It wasn't that he wanted to talk, but being in a room with people who talked was better than being in silence. He watched people enter the common area as he stood in the hallway for a second before entering himself.
    "Hello," he spoke softly before passing everyone and walking to the bookcase. He wasn't picky at all as he just picked the first book that he saw and sat in a chair far away from the rest.

Half listening to the conversations that took place, Jeth opened his book. Mobby Dick, he wasn't surprised. It was a book he had already read, but that didn't matter. Reading was only a way to escape conversation and Jeth hoped the others would understand that as well, yet something told him that that may not be the case. So Jeth just ignored the rest, looking at the pages of his book and hoping Killian nor the other nurse would interact with him.

Anastasia "Stas" Florence Chau-Se
    My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.”

24 • Dissociative identity disorder • Her Room • Doctor Galloway

Norman enters and closes the door behind him. I keep drawing, my black hair shading my face like black, velvet curtains. 'Anastasia,' He sits down on my chair and looks at me, but I take the blue crayon and go on with my piece of art, which looks more like a childish drawing. 'I have a question for you.' That statement catches my attention. 'Did you, by any chance, take that one bottle you found in the drawer of my desk?' I blink and look up at him. He had noticed. I try to keep my face as straight as possible and don't answer. I play with a red crayon in my hand, unconsciously making my fingers red. I shake my head slightly and look down. My hands are completely red and it almost looks like blood. Guilty.
          'No,' I whisper, 'I didn't take a bottle. I didn't even know there was a bottle. We are not allowed to have any stuff, unless it is supervised.' I hold up the crayons. 'i can't hurt myself with these, because even if I would eat them, I wouldn't die. I would have to be very creative to kill myself with crayons.' I nod as if I'm confirming my statement and look out of the barred window. I keep playing with the red crayon in my hands. 'Why would you think I would take your bottle, sir?' I ask innocently. 'What kind of bottle was it? If you are thirsty you can go get some water right?' I tilt my head and give him a crooked smile. The slight buzz of alcohol makes me even more talkative, but I have to watch I won't get sleazy. He can't know I stole his bottle. He will most probably kill me, or even worse: don't like me anyone. 'Don't you trust me?'

诶艾诶娜哦诶娜艾诶

LUKAS “LUKA” HEATHFORD

Patient • 22 • PTSD • Common Area • Adaline / Killian & others

She kindly smiled, though couldn’t help but keep her frown. “It’s alright, Lukas,” she began talking. She sighed. ”And to answer your question. . . No, I’m not okay, unfortunately. It would seem my personal life is catching up with me, but it should get better soon. Thank you for asking.” Lukas smiled politely at her. “Why do you not take some rest then?” the guy asked. “Or are you not supposed to do that?” he continued asking her.
          They reached the Common room, they noticed the others patients. Crap. There where a lot of people in here. Too many for him to handle. They were lucky he was sedated, for now. Otherwise he would probably have lost his mind, for the second time today. Not really a great start for him. Though, he lost hope of one day being pronounced healthy a long, long time ago. A very long time ago.
          “Is there something you’d like to do? We could play a game, read a little, . . . whatever you want, Lukas.” Adaline’s voice brought him back to reality. Lukas shrugged. He felt embarrassed about the fact he was not really the best at reading. “I.. I eh.. Am not a good reader,” he said, the embarrassed tone in his voice clearly audible. His cheeks turned red. “You eh.. Can decide,” he then continued.
          As they continued walking further into the Common Area, another familiar face appeared. One he did not like so much. Killian. He smiled politely at the two, when he noticed them too. “Ah, mister Heathford. Have you recovered from your tantrum?” Tantrum? That hurt, if hurt even still had a meaning here. “Excuse me?” Lukas asked, not bothering to look at the man. He was the taser-man. Not friendly. He hurt him. He would probably do it again.
          Lukas wandered over to one of the empty chairs and touched it. Then he looked up at Adaline and Killian. “You’re a monster Killian,” he said, looking straight at him. He then turned his head to Adaline, he wondered what she was going to do now. Stand up for her colleague? Or protect him. Again. Lukas played with his fingers, as his inner him screamed. The only thing keeping him calm right now was the fact that he was too sedated to actually go crazy.

[ bericht aangepast op 14 maart 2017 - 18:14 ]

That is a perfect copy of reality.

NORMAN RICHARD GALLOWAY
    "No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky."

35 • DOCTOR • ALCOHOL ADDICTION • STAS' ROOM• STAS

For a few moments she stays quiet, maybe figuring out what to say or do. She plays with the crayon in her hand and keeps silent. I await her response, not knowing what to expect. Even after just today, I know I have to carefully pick out my words. I don't want to meet well-known Persephone again. I don't want to get strangled. I know she can't control it, but I find it a little worrying that I'm here with her, alone, without a guard nearby.
          'No, I didn't take a bottle. I didn't even know there was a bottle. We are not allowed to have any stuff, unless it's supervised. I can't hurt myself with these, because even if I would eat them, I wouldn't die. I would have to be very creative to kill myself with crayons.' She totally changes the subject and it kind of... bothers me, to be honest. I want to tell her I won't get angry if she would have taken the bottle, but I know I will probably be annoyed, if not more. I need my alcohol and I am one hundred percent sure she saw the bottle. She must have taken it when I wasn't in the room for a couple of minutes. She talks on and I know she likes to hear her own voice, but it sounds different. 'Don't you trust me?' she finally asks. Will she be upset when I tell her I don't really trust her? To be honest, I don't trust anybody nowadays. The only person I fully trusted, were Beatrice and my parents and siblings. None of them are here, so I am all alone. I don't even trust my colleagues. Take Adaline, we had sex but she fell pregnant. Take Killian, he is acting like he is the damn king of this castle, like he is superior to all of us. I wouldn't exactly call it a castle, though, I would call it a prison. The barred windows in the rooms of the patients tell us enough.
          'I will trust you,' I start my sentence while I keep looking at Anastasia. She almost looks like a little girl, playing with her crayons, making some kind of understandable drawing. I can't make sense out of those coloured lines. 'I know I can trust you, Anastasia, when you breathe in my direction.' I know she must have been drinking out of the bottle if she really took it, and alcohol has a distinctive smell so I can probably know if she took it. 'I just want to know if you have been telling me the truth, otherwise you will have to accept the consequences,' I explain like I'm talking to a toddler that doesn't understand these kind of things. I know Stas will understand me, I just have to make sure she will do exactly as I say. And if she won't cooperate, I will search through her room until I find the flask I'm looking for. 'So, Anastasia, do I have to search your room to find it and smell your breath too, or are you going to be honest to me from now on?'
          I really try to be calm and sweet to her, but it still is difficult. Today a lot of things happened and I don't know if I'm happy about those things. Adaline told me she was pregnant and I'm not sure I believed her when she told me it was my baby. I'm just glad Killian can do something about it. There is no way in heaven or hell that I am going to raise a child here. We both work here and it would be extremely awkward as well. She can't be far along because her belly isn't showing at all, so aborting the child wouldn't be too difficult. It would be painful for Adaline, but she too knows this is for the best. It's a disgrace to have a child when you're not married and it we would be in serious trouble if it came out to the rest of the world. We are doctors, we are supposed to do the right thing and help others, not sleep around and get women pregnant. Even though Beatrice told me to be happy with another woman and start a family with her, I could never betray her. She wanted me to be happy, but I don't think I will be happier than I was with her. I could never love another woman more than her. She was my soulmate and I swore to never get involved in another relationship. I kind of broke that promise already, by sleeping with Adaline, but that was just for sex and nothing else.

[ bericht aangepast op 15 maart 2017 - 14:13 ]

I, Tahani Al-Jamil, shall do my level best to make every event too much.

I keep on fiddling with my crayons and notice my breath going faster slowly. I am scared he will not believe me and scream at me. I am afraid which one of the me-s will respond to that. I press my nails in the crayon, glad I can hurt something else than my own body and my own skin. This also gives me the satisfaction of red blood-like spots under my nails. 'I will trust you,' he tells me. That is not an "I trust you", which frightens me even more. 'I know I can trust you, Anastasia, when you breathe in my direction.' I freeze. If I breathe in his direction I am done. He will know I have been drinking the alcohol. Hundreds of different ideas shoot through my brain. I could just call the guards. They will lock me up and send him away... I hope. I could also be offended by him blaming me, but I have a feeling he won't accept my anger. 'I just want to know if you have been telling me the truth, otherwise you will have to accept the consequences.' I swallow and keep looking at the red crayon in my hands. I am so fixated on it, my eyes start to burn from not blinking. 'So, Anastasia, do I have to search your room to find it and smell your breath too, or are you going to be honest to me from now on?' I shake my head quickly. For a moment I am reminded of a parental figure trying to get something a little kid stole. Am I a little kid?
          I stay silent for nearly a minute, but after that I start to move. I carefully get up and lift up the mattress. I take out the flask and look at him. I put it in his hands, accidentally smearing it with crayon. I don't dare to look at him. I am scared I will see the anger in his eyes. I drop the crayon and this time I pin my nails into my own skin. I keep staring at the floor and at my bare feet while a bit of blood wells up from earlier wounds and merges with the red of the crayons. I swallow.
          'I am sorry, sir Norman,' I whisper. 'I just felt like you... I needed something to make my mind work with me. I know alcohol is bad for me. I know it makes me crazy, but...' I shrug and look up him in his eyes. 'I just wanted to be gone for a little while, away from the pain. You understand that, right?'

诶艾诶娜哦诶娜艾诶

Killian Theodore Cliffwood
    Mephobia is the fear of becoming so awesome that the human race can't handle it and everyone dies... no, wait, I already am.”

29 • Narcissistic • The Common Area • Whoever is there
    I say hi to Jethro who comes walking into the Common Area as well and want to follow his example to sit down and just read a book for a little while, but Lukas won't let me. Before I can move, he opens his mouth to respond. I can dee the disapproval on his face.
          'Excuse me?' They boy doesn't look at me while talking. I frown and follow him with my gaze as he walks over to one of the empty chairs. 'You’re a monster Killian.' I cold laugh escapes my mouth and I shake my head. He thinks I am the monster here? I know it's not the policy here, but I feel like opening my mouth and explaining why he is the monster here. I restrain myself however and sit down on a chair opposite Lukas and Jethro. I fold my legs over one another and look at him with a sly grin.
          'It was for you own good, Lukas. You were about to hurt other patients and tried to strangle someone. I do not want to imply anything, but I am most definitely not the monster here. I am just here to help you. I hope you can understand that someday. Though I know that can be rather hard in your condition.' I give him something that is supposed to be a kind smile. I then focus my attention on Adaline. I am not so sure what to think about her. She is definitly gorgeous, but she thinks to much about her actions and has a bit too much empathy for my taste, especially for Lukas. 'Hello Adaline. It is nice to see you again. Have you recovered from our earlier chat? So seemed rather upset back then. You know that, if you ever want to talk or maybe get some comfort, you can come by my office. I'll be glad to give it to you.'

The call me Charming, no, no, not prince... Doctor,
    Doctor Charming.

NORMAN RICHARD GALLOWAY

35 • DOCTOR • ALCOHOL ADDICTION • STAS' ROOM• STAS

She keeps quiet again and I await her answer. She is so fixated on her crayon it keeps her from blinking, and I wonder if I should just slightly touch her to see if she's still with me here, mentally, or if she once again left planet earth. She then shakes her head and seems to come back to me now. She moves, gets up and lifts her mattress. I think I may know why, but I won't say anything until I am very certain. I want her to be honest with me and I want her to trust me, because believe it or not, I kind of like Stas. Not in that way, but she seems to be in serious trouble and I don't think lots of people can handle her. Not in the right way, without immediately restraining her.
          But then I see it, my bottle of alcohol. She places it into my hands and I look at it. I think she drank out of it, because I know it was fuller when I left it in my drawer this afternoon, before she took it away from me. I keep quiet for a couple of seconds, until she breaks the silence.
          'I am sorry, sir Norman. I just felt like you... I needed something to make my mind work with me. I know alcohol is bad for me. I know it makes me crazy, but... I just wanted to be gone for a little while, away from the pain. You understand that, right?'
          I put the bottle in the pocket of my jacket and look at Anastasia, who really seems to feel a bit down at the moment. I feel what she feels, though. I drink alcohol because it numbs my feelings and because I don't want to think about certain things that have happened over the last couple of years and that is why I drink alcohol, lots of it. However, I am not going to tell her this. I am the doctor, not a patient and I will not act like one. I never will. I want to comfort Anastasia, but I will not tell her that I drink because of my feelings.
          'I do not understand,' I answer and I shake my head when looking at the girl. She seems so fragile and small and I cannot believe she keeps four different personalities in that small body. 'I do not, but I understand you feel like that,' I explain and I give her a little smile. I hope she will not lash out at me for saying this, because to be honest, I feel like I have been through enough for one afternoon. 'I am here to help you, Anastasia, okay? But alcohol is never a good solution. It does not solve your problems. If you have things you worry about, you can talk to us. That is why we are here, yeah?'

[ bericht aangepast op 16 maart 2017 - 19:59 ]

Dr. Adaline Baker

28 Doctor Common Area

“Unfortunately I can’t,” I answer him when he asks me whether I can’t go lie down a bit. “I’m working now, I have a responsibility to uphold.” I give him a kind smile, appreciating his empathy towards my current situation – though I keep walking to the Common Area.
          I glance over him to see how he’s handling the new environment, in combination with the fact that there’s a few other patients here, and a doctor – Killian, whom I immediately recognize. However, having in mind what just happened – what he’s going to do, even if in some way it’s simply a kind, helpful gesture – I can’t look him in the eyes, so I simply don’t. Lukas, to my own pleasure, seems to be doing close to alright, probably thanks to the calming meds I had just given him.
          ”I.. I ehm. Am not a good reader,” he said, clearly feeling embarrassed, which makes me frown just a little. He shouldn’t feel ashamed; perhaps there’s even time to teach him, during his time here. “You eh.. Can decide.”
          I softly nod and notice how Killian is nearing us, so I - as calm as possible – try to walk away and make my way over to one of the drawers, out of which I pluck a deck of cards. Only then do I make my way back, though I take my sweet time to do so, as Killian is still there.
          ”Perhaps we can plays a game of cards, yes?” I ask encouragingly, but my smile fades away once I notice the conversation the two seem to be having.
          ”You’re a monster, Killian,” Lukas has simply stated, drawing all my attention to him. For a second I want to respond, but Killan immediately chimes in – and I am both grateful and cautious for it. The boy doesn’t need much to distrust someone.
          He lets out a cold laugh and takes a seat in front of the boy. “It was for you own good, Lukas. You were about to hurt other patients and tried to strangle someone. I do not want to imply anything, but I am most definitely not the monster here. I am just here to help you. I hope you can understand that someday. Though I know that can be rather hard in your condition.”
          I pull up the corner of my mouth in a subtle smile as I look at Killian – who had a kind glance -, recognizing this as my cue to chime in. “He’s right, Lukas,” I say in a kind, calming voice. “We’re here to help you. Nothing more, nothing less. Yet perhaps, might I ask you, can you describe me what you see?”
          Yet I notice how Killian then focusses on me and take a seat as well, secretly kind of grateful for the opportunity to take a rest, and swiftly am reminded of this awful day once again. “Hello Adaline. It is nice to see you again. Have you recovered from our earlier chat? So seemed rather upset back then. You know that, if you ever want to talk or maybe get some comfort, you can come by my office. I'll be glad to give it to you.”
          For a mere second I subtly frown, but then put on a smile again. He definitely is charming, Killian – and undeniably handsome. “That’s very kind of you to offer, Killian. Perhaps I’ll take you up on it once. But for now- I don’t think-” I simply shake my head. How could I tell him that I now seem to struggle simply being near him, while I at the same time desire to talk to him. As I said, he’s quite charming. But beneath that, I have always seen him as genuinely kind.

[ bericht aangepast op 17 maart 2017 - 3:47 ]

A girl who wonders.

'I do not understand,' he says. A flash of anger crosses my face. He is lying to me. He would not have this flask in his stock if he wouldn't feel the exact same way. 'I do not, but I understand you feel like that,' he then explains and he smiles at me, but I don't smile back. 'I am here to help you, Anastasia, okay? But alcohol is never a good solution. It does not solve your problems. If you have things you worry about, you can talk to us. That is why we are here, yeah?' I fold my arms.
          'You are lying to me,' I say and get up. I squint my eyes and stare directly at him. 'You,' I press my finger in his chest, 'are lying. You are drinking alcohol too. You know it isn't good, but you do it anyways. You are a hypocrite for saying this to me. I am not going to listen to you,' I say stubbornly. I drop down on the bed, grab the drawing and turn my back to him to go on. 'You do not care about me, you only came here to get your alcohol.' I pull the blankets over my head and angrily scratch on my painting. Who do he thinks he is? He is lying to my face. He could have told me he only went to come the flask and it would be fine to me, but no, he gives me this stupid story about he cares. 'You are just like all the other doctors. You don't give a damm about me. You just want to make sure I give you a promotion, because if you can handle the crazy ass bitch, you are a legend.' One of the crayons snaps in two and angrily I throw it on the ground next to me, before I grab another one. 'Anastasia Chau-Se, Dissociative identity disorder, four personalities, non-curable, just lock her up and shove food through the door so she stays alive.' I keep scratching over my papers with the crayons and keep the blankets over my head as angry tears appear in my eyes.

诶艾诶娜哦诶娜艾诶

LUKAS “LUKA” HEATHFORD

Patient • 22 • PTSD • Common Area • Adaline & Killian

From the moment Lukas called Killian a monster, he let out a cold laugh and took a seat in front of the boy. “It was for you own good, Lukas. You were about to hurt other patients and tried to strangle someone. I do not want to imply anything, but I am most definitely not the monster here. I am just here to help you. I hope you can understand that someday. Though I know that can be rather hard in your condition.” Lukas looked, or better said, stared at the man sitting in front of him. He was thinking about what to respond back, when another voice started speaking. Adaline’s.
          “He’s right, Lukas,” She said in a kind, calming voice. “We’re here to help you. Nothing more, nothing less. Yet perhaps, might I ask you, can you describe me what you see?” Lukas turned his head towards her and looked at her. He wanted to answer question, but the rather unpleasant voice of mister Killian tortured his ears again.
          “Hello Adaline. It is nice to see you again. Have you recovered from our earlier chat? So seemed rather upset back then. You know that, if you ever want to talk or maybe get some comfort, you can come by my office. I'll be glad to give it to you.” He sounded Lukas frowned a bit. This man sounded a lot different than when he talked to Lukas, he really had some moodswings.
          After both the doctors stopped talking, Lukas knew it was his chance to talk again. He stood up from his chair and started wandering around the room. “You want to help me? Where have I heard that lie before?” Lukas said. He walked towards one of the bookcase and stroked a few of the spines of books, before purposely throwing them out.
          ”Oops.” It was all that came out of his mind. He turned back to where Adaline stood and Killian sat. “To answer your question, Adaline, there’s nothing to describe.” He felt anger coming up and he was not sure where it came from. “I see humans, a rather boring space you call the “Common Area” and furniture,” he continued. Then he stopped talking, he had already said more than enough for now.
          Lukas bit his lip. What could he do now? Since he was sedated, he probably could roam around the building freely, since he would not attack anyone anyways. Now Killian was here, in this room, he wanted to not be here. He wasn’t very fond of him, not since he tased him. Lukas gave the two doctors a last glare, before walking straight to the exit.
          Now he could only hope for Killian and/or Adaline to let him actually go, which he doubt they would let happen. Especially not since the thing that happened earlier today when he walked around the halls freely.

[ bericht aangepast op 17 maart 2017 - 22:30 ]

That is a perfect copy of reality.

Jethro Niclas Hayes
    patient • 26 • borderline • Common room • Killian, Adeline and Lukas

“How do you run from what's inside of your mind?”

Even though Jeth hadn't intended to join the conversation, he felt the weird need to help Lukas. Since he was a fellow patient, and the fact that Jeth didn't like this place either, it felt necessary to support him. Slowly he closed his book, keeping a finger between the pages to mark them and he cracked his back and his neck.
    "They all tell the same lie, over and over again. It's their job, someone told them to do so in return for money," he spoke, soft but clearly. "And since we're labelled as the crazy, dangerous ones, and they as the sane, there's nothing we can do about it."

For a moment Jeth was quiet, he let Lukas wander around, tell the things he wanted to tell. Jeth tucked his feet underneath him and sighed.
    "I can help you read if you want, or we could play a game. I assume they have playing cards, or some chess, checkers maybe? From experience I can tell that that is a lot more fun than isolation." He dog-eared the page and laid the book on the table besides him. He looked around the room and notices that Lukas was already leaving. Oh well, Jeth picked his book back up and continued reading, not paying much attention to the two doctors in the room.

Killian Theodore Cliffwood
    Mephobia is the fear of becoming so awesome that the human race can't handle it and everyone dies... no, wait, I already am.”

29 • Narcissistic • The Common Area • Whoever is there
    'He’s right, Lukas,' Adaline says and I am kind of surprised by her words. I would have expected her to contradict me and defend Lukas. 'We’re here to help you. Nothing more, nothing less. Yet perhaps, might I ask you, can you describe me what you see?' She then looks at me and I keep up my most charming smile. 'That’s very kind of you to offer, Killian. Perhaps I’ll take you up on it once. But for now- I don’t think-.' She shakes her head and I place my hand on her shoulder, giving her a supposedly emphatic look.
          'You want to help me? Where have I heard that lie before?' Lukas says and then walks to the bookcase. He decides to act like a little kid and throw out all the books. I stop myself in time from rolling my eyes. 'Oops. To answer your question, Adaline, there’s nothing to describe. I see humans, a rather boring space you call the “Common Area” and furniture.' I have to work hard not to make sure the little annoying brat shuts up and listen to Jethro as he proposes to help Lukas calm down.
          'Maybe you should listen to Jethro, Lukas,' I say, 'because Adaline might be so nice as to get you out of your room, but I will not hesitate to put you into an isolation cell for a few days. We are here to help you, not to punish you, but we can not help you if you only contradict us. I hope you understand that. Now, go play a little game until dinner and make some friends.' I grab one of the books that is on the floor and sit down on the big chair in the corner. I open my book and start reading a bit, but still pay attention to the situation in front of me.

The call me Charming, no, no, not prince... Doctor,
    Doctor Charming.

NORMAN RICHARD GALLOWAY

35 • DOCTOR • ALCOHOL ADDICTION • STAS' ROOM • STAS

Is she getting mad at me? While I'm speaking to her, I see a form of rage go over her face, like she does not believe what I'm saying.
          'You are lying to me. You are lying. You are drinking alcohol too. You know it isn't good, but you do it anyways. You are a hypocrite for saying this to me. I am not going to listen to you. You do not care about me, you only came here to get your alcohol.' I just keep quiet until her little tantrum is over. She builds a fort out of her blankets over her head, accompanied by her drawing and the crayons. 'You are just like all the other doctors. You don't give a damn about me. You just want to make sure I give you a promotion, because if you can handle the crazy ass bitch, you are a legend.' She throws a broken crayon on the ground, I still sit on the chair and I look at the girl. She seems truly upset and I seriously don't understand why. 'Anastasia Chau-Se, Disociative identity disorder, four personalities, non-curable, just lock her up and shove food through the door so she stays alive.'
          Now I'm done with her tantrum and I sigh deeply. I pick up the crayons and place them on the table next to me, then I pull the blankets off Anasasia and I look at her. 'Well, Miss Chau-Se,' I start again and I look at her, but she turned her back to me so that is the only thing I see. 'I don't think I have really locked you up, now, have I?' I ask. 'I am simply doing my job and I am doing what is best for you. I do not want you to feel like I don't care about you, because I do. I care about all of my patients and you are one of them.' I pause and then I continue talking. 'I know what is best for you and for me and I do not like you telling me otherwise, do you understand me?'
          I stand up and I still keep looking at the girl. She is sweet and I get that she is having a hard time, but she cannot blame me for not caring. I have taken care of her a couple of hours ago when she lost all control and I haven't locked her up in her room because she was acting all weird. It was because she had to calm down and sleep.

Dr. Adaline Baker

28 Doctor Edward's Office

’You want to help me? Where have I heard that lie before?’ Lukas suddenly said and started wandering around the room, even pulling some books from the shelves. ‘To answer your question, Adaline, there’s nothing to describe. I see humans, a rather boring space you call the “Common Area” and furniture.’ Before I could even answer, another patient chimed in.
          ’They all tell the same lie, over and over again. It’s their job, someone told them to do so in return for money,’ I recognized the patient as the one that had calmed down Lukas earlier. ‘And since we’re labelled as the crazy, dangerous ones, and they as the sane, there’s nothing we can do about it.’
          I pulled away the corner of my mouth and frown with obvious frustration, hearing them say all these things – even after the patient offered to help Lukas read or play some games. How could we help them, if they would forever believe we were doing so purely out of a desire for payment? I know very well there are doctors who do so, but I am not one of them. However, I decide not to argue them, especially when I have Killian as back-up. The moment he had placed his hand on my shoulder, I felt safe – strangely enough, even with the undeniable knot in my stomach because of our conversation earlier.
          ’Maybe you should listen to Jethro, Lukas,’ he had told him, ‘Because Adaline might be so nice as to get you out of your room, but I will not hesitate to put you into an isolation cell for a few days. We are here to help you, not to punish you, but we cannot help you if you only contradict us. I hope you understand that. Now, go play a little game until dinner and make some friends.’
          Slightly confused I glared at Killan, as he just – apparently – defended me, which I did not expect from him.
          ’Thank you,’ I mutter, and I realize not solely for his words, but for his offer to comfort me as well, as I highly desire to say yes to it. However I can’t, not just yet. There’s something else I need to do first.
          ’Killian, would you mind if I leave you with the patients for just a minute? There’s something I need to do. . .’ I say, not hiding the worry in my voice. I know very well Edward might react just as bad as Norman, or even worse. And I don’t know whether I’m ready for that, but I can’t put it off any longer. Not when next week everything ‘ll change, or Norman even might mention my pregnancy to Edward.
          I get up from my seat and rub my sweaty palms on my pants, as I walk out of the room – though I give the patients another kind smile before I do so. Only then do I make my way to Edward’s office and take a deep breath, before softly knocking on his door a few times.
          ’Edward. . . It’s Adaline. Do you have a moment to talk?’ I mutter, not hiding that this is a serious subject.

[ bericht aangepast op 20 maart 2017 - 17:28 ]

A girl who wonders.

HENRY NICHOLAS REIGN

24 • Depressed/Suicidal • Patient

With a sigh I put down the deck of cards in my hand, as I have just finished another game of Solitaire – though my attention remains focused on the other people in the room. I don’t know all of their names, part from Killian and Jethro, but it seems they’re having quite the discussion – especially when the young man who earlier had an episode, starts throwing books of the shelves.
          Quietly I wait for the drama to end – having no desire to meddle – but get up to pick up the books and put them in their earlier position the moment he leaves. I may be crazy, but Hell will freeze the day I disrespect a book.
          After that drag myself back to the table, but glance over to Killian before I allow myself to sit down. I’m curious after the doctor who’s assigned to me; what kind of a man he is, how much he cares about his patients and – most importantly – if there might come a day he would allow me to die. So I grab the deck of card and make my way to him, as I take a seat.
          ’You play?’ I mumble under my breath, not hiding my exhaustion, and start dividing the cards into the right amount of piles for a game of Poker. ‘How are you doing, Killian?’ I glance at him.
          He has quite the charismatic appearance, so it isn’t hard to see why he would choose to go into this field of medicine, probably knowing he has an easier time talking to the ‘crazy ones’ than most of us. Still, I wonder. ‘Seemed a bit of a messy situation here, just a minute ago.’

A girl who wonders.